The new book “Socioeconomic Fragmentation and Exclusion in Greece under the Crisis” edited by Dimitris Katsikas, Lecturer, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and Head of Crisis Observatory, Dimitris A. Sotiropoulos, Associate Professor, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and Dr. Maria Zafiropoulou, has been published. The book is part of Palgrave Macmillan’s study series “New perspectives on South-East Europe”.
Based on the ideas, data and findings of the research program “Fragmentation and Exclusion: Understanding and Overcoming the Multiple Impacts of the Crisis” (FRAGMEX) in which Crisis Observatory successfully participated, this book studies the phenomena of fragmentation and exclusion that threaten the cohesion and stability of the Greek society in the aftermath of the economic crisis. These phenomena were observed on a material level, with the rising levels of poverty and inequality creating new social security outsiders, as well as on an ideational level where a documented discursive-cultural shift has led to a new categorization of new (and old) insiders/outsiders. This volume also attests the aspirations and limitations of spontaneous civil society mobilization to address the economic crisis. Finally, a discussion is provided on the political management of social fragmentation and exclusion in Greece before and after the crisis.
This book is a useful tool for academics and students of social policy and phenomena of poverty, social exclusion and economic inequality, civil society studies and comparative political economy and politics.
The list of contributors:
- Eirini Andriopoulou, Scientific Advisor-Economist, Council of Economic Advisors and Athens University of Economics and Business
- Alexandros Karakitsios, Council of Economic Advisors and Athens University of Economics and Business
- Panos Tsakloglou, Professor, Department of International and European Economic Studies, Athens University of Economics and Business, Research Associate, Hellenic Observatory, European Institute, London School of Economics and Political Science and Research Fellow, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA)
- Kyriakos Filinis, Research Associate, ELIAMEP
- Dimitris Katsikas, Lecturer, Department of Political Science and Public Administration, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and Head, Crisis Observatory, ELIAMEP
- Dimitris A. Sotiropoulos, Associate Professor, Department of Political Science and Public Administration, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Research Associate, Hellenic Observatory, European Institute, London School of Economics and Political Science and Senior Research Fellow, ELIAMEP
- Anastasia Papakonstantinou, PhD Candidate, University of Peloponnese
- Maria Zafiropoulou, European Union Expert in Social and Health Issues, Lawyer specialized in Health Law and Research Associate, HOU
- Aspasia Theodosiou, (MA, PhD), Social Anthropologist, Technological and Educational Institute of Epirus and HOU
- Alejandro Perez, PhD Fellow, Institut RSCS, Catholic University of Louvain