The book “Economic Crisis and Structural Reforms in Southern Europe: Policy Lessons” edited by Professor Paolo Manasse and Dimitris Katsikas, Head of Crisis Observatory, has been published.
The book is part of Routledge Studies in the European Economy. The Crisis Observatory financed part of this collective research effort. The book examines the reforms implemented by countries of the European South in recent years, as part of the economic adjustment programmes drawing useful policy lessons from their successes and failures. To this purpose, it considers the choice of timing and sequencing of reforms, the choice of the appropriate policy instruments, the pressure of interest groups and the political calculations involved in reforms. In the featuring chapters, the contributors explore not only individual national cases of specific structural reforms but apply a comparative approach in order to evaluate similar reforms across countries.
Focusing on the challenges of designing and implementing structural reforms, this book constitutes a useful tool for policy makers, researchers of national and international organisations as well as academics with an interest in economics and politics of the Eurozone crisis.
The list of contributors:
- Aksoy Tolga, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Yildiz Technical University.
- Anastasatou Marianthi, Economist, Economic Analysis and Research Department, Bank of Greece.
- Catao Luis, Senior Economist, Research Department, International Monetary Fund.
- Clerides Sofronis, Professor of Economics, University of Cyprus.
- Cuerpo Carlos, Head of Division, Economic Analysis Division, Spanish Independent Authority for Fiscal Responsibility.
- Geli Federico, Analyst, Economic Analysis Division, Spanish Independent Authority for Fiscal Responsibility.
- Herrero Carlos, PhD. Student, University of Valencia.
- Katsikas Dimitris, Lecturer of International and European Political Economy, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and Head, Crisis Observatory, Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy (ELIAMEP).
- Manasse Paolo, Professor of Macroeconomics and International Economic Policy, University of Bologna.
- Otero Miguel, Senior Analyst in International Political Economy, Elcano Royal Institute, Senior Research Fellow, ESSCA School of Management, and Adjunct Professor at IE University.
- Panagiotarea Eleni, Senior Economist, Piraeus Bank and Research Fellow, Helenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy (ELIAMEP) and Onassis Scholar.
- Petralias Athanassios, Statistical Analyst, Statistics Department, Bank of Greece.
- Steinberg Frederico, Professor of Economics at Universidad Autόnoma de Madrid and Senior Analyst at the Elcano Royal Institute.
- Terzi Alessio, Affiliate Fellow, Bruegel and Visiting Fullbright Fellow, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University.
- Turrini Alessandro, Head of Unit “Macroeconomic Imbalances and Adjustment”, European Commission, DG Economic and Financial Affairs.
Relevant Posts: Paolo Manasse, Dimitris Katsikas, (2018), “Economic crisis and structural reforms in Southern Europe: Policy lessons”, Vox, 1 February